Saturday, June 9, 2007

Climbing Trees

Climbing trees is fun. I do so much stuff in my tree out front, no matter how termite and ant infested it is.

I write poems in it.
I write songs in it.
I write stories in it.
I read in it.
I daydream in it.
He he... I even spy from it sometimes.

It's so much fun to be up high in a tree. You get this thrill from the fact that if you fall, you might end up dying - and please don't think I'm suicidal or mental because of it, it's just thrilling - and it gets your adrenaline pumping.

I mean, it's terrifying when your foot slips or you have a really bad grip on one of the branches and you don't know if you can get to the next branch, but you really want to make it and you make up extreme scenarios that will happen if you don't get to the next branch. Like the world will end or something crazy like that. That sounds so stupid and little-kid-like, but it's true. And I don't mind thinking like a little kid. Everything was so much more interesting when I was little. I didn't know about so much of the stuff around me, that I'd make up explanations for it.

I remember when I was little, I knew the moon wasn't made of cheese, but I made up the reason that it was because all the little aliens would eat it if it were, so God had to make it out of something that they wouldn't want to eat, like rocks or brussel sprouts or lima beans. Except it couldn't be made of brussel sprouts or lima beans because it wasn't green, so it had to be rock.

Yeah, so anyways, back to trees.

Poems. Songs. And stories. I get so much inspiration from trees. Not looking at them from far away, but actually being up close to one and in one, sitting on the branches. It's like its own little world and there are lots of little people living in it. All the branches are roads and the leaves are houses. The tiny twigs connecting them are the driveways. I can change the world of a tree into the world I want it to be. It can be a world from one of the stories I'm writing, or it can be the perfect world of make-believe that I write about in one of my poems. It can be my own world where nothing is going wrong but I'm not in total control. I'm just observing. That's when I write my songs. They're about my observations and how I respond to them, I guess. I mean, whenever I try to write a song, it comes out lame and emotionless. But if I just write my thoughts down - however random they may be - the end result isn't half-bad.

Again, with the reading. I can recreate the world of the book around me and I can picture what is happening. Sometimes I even read the words out loud with the expression I imagine is in the voice because I want to get a better feel for the story. I can do that in the tree, because no one can hear me and no one can see me. Which makes it great to spy from.

I told you earlier, I like to observe people, to watch how they interact and what their personalities are like. Doing that for so long has made me a pretty decent judge of character. Well, it all started from the tree out front. I would sit up in it and watch party guests arrive and see how they acted around each oter and how they acted when certain people weren't around. I am really thankful for that gift that God has given me.

Thanks for trees too God!!!
Katy

No comments: