Wednesday, June 20, 2007

How to Deal with the Crap Life Throws at You

So, you're in this really awkward situation and it's really bothering you. I think I know how you feel. All you really want to do is go crawl under a rock and hide where no one can find you and you can just be left alone, but nobody's letting you do that. I might not have been in your exact situation, but I've reacted in the same way. I just wanted to throw in the towel and walk away.

I mean, come on, you gave it a shot but it didn't work; what more is there to do? And the whole thing has just gotten to a point where it's too hard to act like nothing happened and it's too awkward for you. It just gives you this gross feeling in your stomach because you know things are going to be different and you can't change it back.

You want to blame the other person and get it over with and then go sit in a cool dark room on the floor with your back against the wall and your eyes closed and just forget. But nobody will let you. They keep bugging you about it and telling you that "it'll be hard, but you can make everything work out in the end." But you don't believe them, you don't want to believe them because it'll mean more work for you and you just don't want to do that anymore. You just want to forget about it and walk away.

The problem is, there's nowhere to walk to. You're completely surrounded. The whole thing's like a buzzing noise in your brain and a hammer on the inside of your skull. And you just want it to stop.


The only way I got it to stop was by talking to the person.

It was unbelievably hard and it was after one of our worst fights (I hadn't talked to her for a week and a half and those of you who know me know that that's practically impossible. Running away didn't work.) and I felt really wierd. But we talked - both of us - and it got fixed. Not all at once, like magic or anything. no way, it was totally hard and took a long time. It took almost two months and it's still not 100% better, but it got to a point where we could hang out and joke around without feeling awkward. The stress stopped and I feel so much better about it.


So... My advice to those of you who can relate is:

Talk. It's gonna be hard, but it helps so much.

No comments: